Thursday, August 31, 2006

Summer's End

Back when I first started volunteering in the beginning of summer, I genuinely hated it. I hated the kids. They wouldn't listen to me, I couldn't get them to listen to me and I just didn't know what to do with them. I didn't know the rest of the volunteers, they all seemed like one big group of friends and I was always the outsider. But as time went on and I got to know everyone better, I actually grew to like volunteering. Its kind of weird, because I used to see it as a job now its more of something I do to have fun. Now its the last day and I feel kind of sad. There's something about summer that let's you go just a bit crazier, do something you've always wanted to do but was too scared to do it. Summer isn't about rigid schedules and commitments. Summer's about freedom and maybe...love. But the most important thing about summer is that there's always a bit of it inside of us, underneath the layers of winter and responsibility. Its always there, always has been, and always will be.

No comments: