Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My Adventure in the Self Help Section

So the other day I was in Chapters and I walked past the Self Help book section, I was pissed off and felt slightly depressed for no apparent reason other than I couldn't sleep very much for the entire week and was really tired, so I figured, maybe I should read some books "that will help me help myself."I found the book titles really weird, almost no creativity needed. It was good in a way that everything was simple, the book is what the title says it is. Its not like books in any other genre where they have weird titles that have you wondering what they're about. I mean there's all these "How to be Happy," "Ten Steps To a More Successful Life," as I read these titles, I wondered if the authors actually used their own advice. I mean, would they really go and talk to people they hated and resolve the conflict? Its like those advice columns in magazines, the only advice they usually give is for you to talk to the person, but the thing is if the person who needed advice could actually talk to the person, they wouldn't have needed to write for advice in the first place. Sometimes, I wonder if advice is a good thing or a bad thing. Its true that an outsider's perspective could usually give some insight to a problem thats harder for the person in the conflict to realize, but the person giving advice isn't living the life of the person with the problem. Everyone's life has their own set of dramas, which is why I'm very reluctant to give advice to people. I'm always scared that I'll ruin their lives in some way if I give them my crappy advice. So in the end, I didn't end up reading/buying any of the books, (though I did flip through a couple of pages of one of the body language ones and I found it slightly amusing that the way I sat was sending sexual signals all along. However, that was how I discovered the book wasn't accurate as I have a very non-existant love life at the moment.) I went volunteering, excercised alot, and fell dead asleep last night, sleeping at least ten hours in a row.

Sometimes, its best not to overthink problems, the solution for me was simple all along. I just needed to get more excercise and to get out and do something.

No comments: