Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heat and Insomnia

For the past few days, the temperature has been around thirty degrees celsius. For me, that is total hell. Cold is easy to face, just put on some extra clothes or get an extra blanket at night, but there is only so much you can do to face the heat. I mean, I'm melting even if I sleep naked and I can't even do that because I live with my parents and I don't think its a great idea if my dad suddenly decides to check on me while I'm sleeping just for the heck of it and I'm lying there with no clothes on. Too add to the misery, I sleep on a pillow top mattress, which feels great during the winter, but just not that great during the summer. Oh oops, I forgot to mention, I have no air conditioning in my apartment. I have two fans, but the wind is warm...so not much help. Actually one is right next to me right now and is currently scattering papers across my desk with the wind as I'm typing this. I haven't been able to sleep for more than four to five hours since the temperature started going up. I feel really drowsy in air conditioned rooms but once I get home, the heat keeps me awake. I go to bed at about 11:30, wide awake. I fall asleep around 2:00, wake up at about 7:00, but try to force myself back to sleep. So I get out of bed at about 8:30. This morning at church, I almost had to force my eyes open while the pastor was talking because the air conditioning just felt too nice.

Also I'm going to attempt something that I've never succeeded in: sleeping without a fan for the entire summer. I've resisted the temptation so far, if I last the whole summer, I will buy myself something nice in September. I'm not even sure why I'm doing this as its totally pointless and I'm just torturing myself, maybe I'll just say its to save electricity so I won't look and feel so stupid.

No comments: