Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Yes, I am a nerd.

Yes, I am a nerd. I will admit it right now, right here. Yes, I chain-read the way smokers chain-smoke. My favourite class isn't P.E. or art, its Social Studies. I read the newspaper every morning as I ride the bus to school. I know what the gas prices are today. And yes, I'd rather spend more time reading than coordinating my outfits. But of course, in the world of high school, only beautiful people are respected. Yes, teen movie chick flicks are lying. I can pretty much tell you that at least 75% of the male population in high school go for skinny girls with big boobs and pretty faces. The remaining 25% go for the athletic type or the extremely smart type and most of us do not fulfill either category. Which I think is a reason why chick flicks always make so much money, every ordinary girl wants to be the leading actress in the movie. But one thing's for sure, in fifteen years, all us 'nerds' and 'normlies' will be the ones walking in downtown with Gucci and Prada bought with our own money and striding into work with our Louis Vuitton briefcases. As we walk into a coffee shop in the morning, the janitor that cleans the toilet there? Yeah, that's the girl that dissed your glasses back in high school.

Meanwhile, here's something to cheer you up before your success in life fifteen years from now:

Reasons Why Its Cool to be a Nerd:
1) Bill Gates, the wealthiest person on Earth is a nerd. Questions?
2) Every electronic device you own, from your television to your computer to your ipod was developed by a nerd.
3) Yes, even the make-up, skin care products, and hair care products that people use to enhance their beauty are developed and tested by lab technicians and dermatologists. Many probably were 'science geeks' in school.
4) Band geek? Choir freak? I can pretty much bet you that the next song you hear on the radio that everybody's been requesting, the person who wrote it or/and the singer was probably one of the two mentioned in the beginning.
5) All the pretty actresses and the hot actors you see in movies may not be nerds, but the people that design their look, negotiate film deals for them, organize publicity events for them, are all industry professionals who had quite a bit of schooling to get there. If studying is considered nerdy behavior, then all the entertainment bascially comes from ideas of nerds.
6) Ah yes, movies. The billion dollar industry with and endless supply of consumers. All the people behind it, the scriptwriters, directors, casting directors, set designers, lighting technicians, etc. Those people worked hard and had lots of training and schooling before they can actually work on the set. They would be stereotypical nerds.
7) Every aspect of your living, your water, plumbing, etc. is controlled by computers and who controls the computers? By now I hope I don't have to type the word out for you to get my point.

Haha, I tried to think of ten, there's probably more, but World Cup is on right now which means I am moving straight back in front of the T.V.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a huge confidence booster! I would actually rather read than pick out clothes, and I read the paper every morning, and SS is my favorite class, too. Plus, I get to skip pre-algebra, so I guess that counts, too. So keep up the awesome blog-work!