Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Girl Next Door

I'm your average teenage girl, I spend a lot of time watching chick-flicks and reading chick-lit. I know, I know, the plot is always the same, the setting, mood, etc. are always the same, but for some reason, me and millions of other teenage (and maybe older) females in the world seem to gravitate towards this genre of entertainment, why? I think its probably because the story always features the average girl: ordinary, has the potential to be pretty; falling in love with a really special, perfect guy. He's nice, smart, cute and they both have similar interests. And he falls for her too, despite the fact that she's ugly, unpopular, or is struggling with problems in her life. He looks after her, he comforts her when she's sad, he's always there to dry her tears. This is every girl's dream. But unfortunately, things work out differently in the real world, dating isn't always about love or even emotions. Its more of a game of attraction that ordinary people like me aren't even a part of. That is why we can only put our impossible dreams of romance into chick-flicks and chick-lit, where the girl next door has a chance to shine and not all the guys are shallow, heart-breaking bastards.

No comments: