Monday, June 19, 2006

Victim of Advertisment


Okay, I will now tell you something I did the other day that leaves me feeling incredibly stupid. So the other day, I went shopping for conditioner since I ran out and I was browsing through all the shelves and looking at all the prices. Nothing was on sale but one particular bottle caught my eye (left). Now it wasn't on sale or anything, in fact, I paid seven dollars for this when I could have bought Pantene Pro-V conditioner for half the price. So what made me change my mind? This article floating around the back of my mind that I must have read at least a year ago:
You can't really see it in the picture but its Jessica Simpson saying that "Paves has restored her hair and it contains the same stuff as the expensive products, but its cheap. (by the way, to us normal consumers, that is not cheap). Conciously, I can tell you that in no way do I admire Jessica Simpson or want to be like her. I mean, come on, I'm not saying that having morals isn't good, but you don't have to go around advertising your virginity and everything. But subconciously, is there a part of me that wants to be like her? Is there a part of me that wants to be rich, famous, and have (well, actually in regard to the whole divorce thing, had) a boyfriend that's willing to wait until we're married before having sex? The thing with celebrities is we only see them in movies and occasionally on tabloids with headlines promising scandals, but still, in our minds, their lives seem perfect, glossy. After all, who doesn't want to have thousands of fans screaming as you enter the stage or all rushing out to buy your latest CD? Celebrities represent a desire for people to be accepted and admired. So when we see an article in a magazine that a celebrity recommends, our minds automatically register that using this product will help us achieve this 'perfection' that they have. Of course, companies realize this, which is why there are so many ads out there featuring celebrities and models with bodies that are impossible to achieve unless you go for plastic surgery. "What if Jessica Simpson honestly recommends this product?" you say. Well, I can tell you one thing, Ken Paves is her hair stylist, need I say more?

No comments: