Sunday, January 07, 2007

Understood...or not?

This is one of those questions that I always ask myself: do I want to be understood or not? It always feels good when you have someone agreeing with you; reassuring you that your point of view is "correct". I mean, that's the reason why we spend all those hours on the phone with friends, right? That's why we spend so much time arguing with people until we finally get them to agree with our point. At the same time, I feel like I don't want to expose that part of myself to people. Maybe its reading way too much historical fiction novels or something but I feel like if I do tell somebody so much about myself, I have no backup plan if somebody decides to backstab me. I mean, there's that bit of an almost guilty pleasure knowing that you're not what people think you are. Of course, that causes problems because then I have one more thing to pity myself for when I'm feeling all depressed and shitty: "nobody understands me". I suppose at the same time, there's the big romantic inside of me hoping to find that one guy that I can trust enough and we can be soulmates and all that bullshit. Though of course, there's always that whole thing about how your lover can't be your best friend because then you wouldn't have anyone to complain to about your lover.

No comments: