Friday, January 05, 2007

"Don't let your morals get in the way of doing what is best for the patient."

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=81b8727e-b470-4382-a646-386121d9109c

Okay, saw this link on Google News today and my first thoughts at the reading the caption underneath the picture was "this is sick". Basically, the parents of a nine year old girl with the mental state of a 3-6 month old baby had her uterus, breasts, and appendix removed and placed her on Estrogen treatment for two years to stunt her growth and development so it would be easier for them to take care of her. Of course, something like this will have millions of people arguing and debating over whether or not its morally correct to be "altering what God has created" or "deciding what's best for the patient". On the other hand, you have the argument that the life of the patient would improve if it was easier for the parents to take care of the girl and its not like the girl can tell the difference anyways since she has the mentality of a baby less than a year old. I suppose I have no right to express my opinions about this since I have no personal experience in taking care of somebody in that way and I'm not a manically obsessed theologist or anything. It was just something that stuck on my mind after I read it.

No comments: