Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Tyra Banks is Fat"

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/news/celebrity/ktla-tyra,0,751970.story?coll=mmx-home_bottom_hedsh2o

Oh man. Do we really have to go there? From my years of shopping at Superstore and browsing the covers of various tabloids and magazines while I wait in the heiniously long lineups to the cashiers, I've seen all the pictures of the celebrities at their worst from"Mary-Kate Olsen in Rehab for Anorexia" to "Britney Spears With Celluite at Twenty-Two!". Then of course, next week, you see the exact same magazine print pictures of the same celibrity looking all glamorous on the red carpet and the headlines commenting on how great they look. I mean, its not like I'm sitting here with my great morals telling you how I'm sickened every time I hear about a scandal. I mean, I'm like everyone else, I can't help but subconciously rejoice when I hear about a "perfect" person screw up. However, hearing about the media go on about how Tyra Banks is fat sickens me. I mean, for God's sake, everyone's heard about America's Next Top Model and everyone has watched at least one episode despite what they tell you and pretty much everyone's watched the Tyra Banks's Show before. Why won't the tabloids ever think about how much of the female population looks up to Tyra Banks? She provides the model wannabes and people who are struggling with their body image that being thin isn't everything and that females have curves and thats natural. We're not supposed to look like sticks. I saw one of the episodes of her talk show about little girls who think they're fat and they're dieting before they've even learned how to spell the damn word. It just depressed me, you know? I mean, kids are supposed to be all innocent and stuff but look at Barbie dolls. Which girl hasn't wondered why she doesn't look like Barbie when she's playing with the doll? I mean, I certainly wondered why I didn't look skinny like that and still miraculously have boobs. I don't particularly admire Tyra Banks and I do think its slightly hypocritical of her to preach healthy body image when she used to be a model, someone that sells their looks for money and she hosts a modelling competition that is again, all about looks. However, I do admire the fact that she's made a decent effort into talking about body image with the whole wearing a fat suit to show viewers how prejudiced people can be to people who are overweight. Now how are the little kids going to look at this and her efforts in changing people's views towards their body? What kind of message are the tabloids trying to send?! For once, can't they shut up and pick on somebody that at least deserves to be picked on? I mean, if you want to plaster pictures of Lindsay Lohan drunk, I don't care.

No comments: